Close Call....





Well, I am writing this blog tonight with a very heavy heart but a happy one too. Friday, July 24th Amanda McKamey had a pool party at her mom's house, Tammy Carlson. She and I had planned it several weeks ago and we were excited to get everyone together to swim and have lunch. It was weird but not very many people had RSVP'd and I was wondering if we should even go through with it. However, I thought it would be nice to just swim anyway and get out of the heat. So, as the days got closer I still hadn't had many responses so I sent a reminder email. The day of the party, KC was home from work and decided to go with us. The kids were excited and I was happy to have the extra help. We got to Tammy's house and started getting the kids ready to swim. Amanda and I were in the house the longest getting the babies ready.

Soon enough though, I too was in the pool with Hanna and ready to cool down. I hadn't been in for more than 3 minutes when Jeri Lamp (who was already there with her 3 girls and 2 other friends) started yelling and grabbed Makenna (Amanda's daughter) out of the water by her lifejacket. It was a scene I will not easily forget and one that I hope to never see again.

I will tell the story from my angle or point of view: I saw Jeri pull the lifeless Makenna out of the water. She had been facedown in the water and was as limp as a doll. Jeri put her on the side of the pool and started yelling for KC to help. Of course, KC was out of the water by now and was getting Makenna's lifejacket off. He also told Amanda to call "911". Amanda said, "are you serious?" and KC responed "yes". Amanda got on the phone with 911 and was having a hard time explaining the situation but it kept her preoccupied. Meantime, Jeri got the kids out of the pool. She stood by KC and Makenna and started saying a prayer. Her faith combined with those that were present was amazingly strong. Strong enough to feel. I stayed by KC's side for moral support and love. I could literally feel the weight of his burdens and the pressure he was feeling to save this little girls life. He started to administer CPR and was trying to find her pulse. Her face was blue and lifeless, she looked dead. Her eyes were a very dark blue and her mouth matched her eyes. It was a very scarey image to be seeing on a little child...a friend's child. I yelled at KC several times to do something, to save her. He was doing his best and I knew that but I felt this need to say it out loud. It took several minutes but eventually Makenna started to cough and show signs of life. Her eyes started to come back and she was starting to move around. She then started screaming and we knew she would be ok. Jeri started to get the kids inside and out of the way. KC kept Makenna in his arms for a bit longer and then insisted that Amanda hold her. He instructed her to talk to Makenna and give her a familiar voice to focus on. All the while poor little Makenna was screaming and calling out to "mama". The paramedics got there and were relieved to see a breathing a child. They took her vitals and soon after rushed her to Children's Hospital.

She was released that night and given a good bill of health. It was a miracle and all due to the amazing team of a few moms and most importantly KC. He saved Makenna's life and reminded us all of what is most important. He will forever be Makenna's hero and mine too.....

3 comments:

  1. yep, balling me eyes out.
    and this is why i love kc so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Carolynn, that is so scary. I could hardly breathe while I was reading this. I am so glad that Makenna is OK. Bless KC! He IS a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolynn, even after a few weeks, reading your experience is so difficult. It's just so great that everything was done as quickly and expertly as it was. love-mom

    ReplyDelete