This journal entry is merely for my own benefit....
Today I was reminded of what really matters in life.
I was at the commissary (military grocery store) today doing my food shopping. The commissary is always an event and today is sure to take the prize. I had every intention of going in the morning with just Hanna while the kids were in school. However, Hanna woke up at 5am this morning and did not feel good. After getting Seth and Cali to school I was not about to drag my 1 year old to the commissary only to kick and scream the whole time. So, unfortunately I had to take Seth and Cali too after school (this way Hanna took a good long nap).
The kids were pretty good throughout the store....the usual whining from Cali that she wants this and wants that. Hanna wanted out of the cart most of the time and Seth just tried to stay out of my radar. But by the time I was ready to leave I felt like we had been in there forever and the kids probably felt the same way. So, I was impatient and short with them. I picked a line where a lady was almost done and getting ready to pay and leave. I thought, "this looks good and we will be helped here soon and then be on our way home". Oh was I wrong.... long story short she was trying to use coupons for things she had not bought. I couldn't believe she was trying to do it. The cashier kept explaining it to her but the lady would not budge. Finally, the manager came over and talked to her and allowed the cashier to use them. The cashier kept her cool but you could tell she was annoyed. The manager stayed calm and kept talking nicely to the lady. I was amazed that she could get away with that. Then, I started to realize something, I could be that lady...anyone could be that lady. Times are tough right now and people are desperate. So, I tried to take a different attitude and thought to myself, "thank goodness I am not her and that I am not desperate enough to do that". Meantime, the kids started to get very restless and wondered what was going on. I tired to explain to them that we would talk about it in the car. They would not have anything to do with that so I finally told them that the lady in front us was getting in trouble. That got their attention and from then on they were quiet and curious. It was funny!
The lady got away with saving over $100 in coupons for things she didn't even buy. Again, I am so glad not to be her. I learned that day that the holidays/life should be more about what counts and less about what can be counted.
Merry Christmas and may you always have what you need.
You are such a good example!
ReplyDelete